How to keep your best people forever as a business owner
As a business owner, you want to keep your best people forever, right?
And if you’re anything like me, you take it a little personally when they decide to move on!
It’s difficult to compete with large corporates who can up salaries and headhunt based on money.
We are in a highly competitive market for people, so your best bet is to start by looking after the people you already have – and it doesn’t have to revolve around money!
What do you need to do to keep your people happy? It doesn’t have to be scary, and it’s not all about money!
From one business owner to another, here are our top tips…
1) Open listening and discussion. People need to feel safe and empowered to speak freely. This can bring creative ideas, continuous improvement and making them feel involved in the business
2) Proactive, empathetic and solutions-based leadership – people often leave their jobs because of poor management.
3) Clear opportunities and support for personal growth and development
4) Be transparent and honest. Show your people your company performance. This encourages buy-in and galvanises support
5) Encourage work/life balance and understand that your people need time off.
6) Reward when your people go above and beyond and make it personal to them (wine or spa vouchers might not be for everyone!). And sometimes reward just because!
It gives me real pleasure to see my people grow and develop. Rewarding them in different ways including things that appeal to them like food, vouchers they can use to treat themselves or meals out.
Treat your people as humans! And they will give back 10-fold.